Click to messenger ads are a part of the Facebook messenger ads cluster.
Facebook messenger ads consists of 3 types of ads:
1. Sponsored Messages
You can use sponsored messages to show ads to those who have interacted with your Facebook business page over messenger.
These ads appear inside the messenger conversation.
2. Click to messenger ads
These are the ads we are talking about in this article.
Instead of directing clicks to a landing page, these ads direct clicks to a messenger conversation.
They have a send message button which starts a conversation with anyone who clicks on the ad.
3. Messenger Feed
You can run Facebook ads with Messenger as a placement.
These ads show up when you browsing through messenger, in between conversations.
You can choose to use this type of ad when editing placements at the ad set level.
You already know that Facebook ads are a great way to reach more people or retarget your existing audience and be on top of mind.
But maybe you have tried them and they haven’t worked as well for you.
Facebook messenger is a new platform for Facebook ads and hence less competitive, with a lower cost per conversion as compared to other Facebook ads.
In the post, I am going to show you an easier way to create click to messenger ads on Facebook, by creating ads right inside of the Manychat platform ( This feature is still in beta, but currently active)
What is Manychat?
Manychat is a visual bot building platform. It gives you a platform to build automated messenger bots that help you connect with your audience, understand better and engage them so they know, like and trust you, and eventually buy from you.
Manychat is one of the best messenger marketing platforms. The team continuously updates the platform based on Facebook’s policies, making sure the users use the platform in the best way possible.
You can create a Manychat account here.
Connecting Manychat to your Facebook account
The first step is to connect your Manychat account with your Facebook business page.
When you first create an account on Manychat, you will be asked to login using Facebook.
Once you do that, Manychat will show you a list of Facebook business pages that you are an admin for.
Just click on the “Connect” button for the page you want to use to create the messenger bot and the ad.
I shared this process in detail in my post on Facebook messenger bots on Miranda Nahmias’ Blog.
Setting up the click to messenger ads
1. Setting up an audience in the Facebook ads manager
There are 3 kinds of audiences you can create in the Facebook ads manager.
These audiences are based on behavior, interests, age, location etc. You can create these directly inside of Manychat.
These audience are the backbone of your Facebook ads. You can use your email address, website traffic, instagram page engagement, video views etc. to create custom audiences that you can then run ads to.
These audiences need to be created inside of the Facebook ads manager before you can access them in Manychat.
These audiences are created from custom audiences. They are similar to custom audiences but help you expand your audience by targeting a completely new audience.
These audiences also need to be created inside the Facebook ads manager.
2. Creating the ads inside of Manychat
Let’s look at the process to create ads inside of Manychat:
1.You can access the Ads feature under Growth Tools
2. Click on the blue blue button on top right that says Create new ad.
3. Select the Facebook business page you want to create an ad for. You will see this step only if you have connected multiple business pages to Manychat.
4. Click on Create new campaign and choose the campaign type as Messages. Name your campaign and set campaign limit.
5. Click on create new ad set and choose “click to messenger’ as message destination.
6. You can either create your audience here ( if you are using behavior, interests, age, etc. to target your audience on Facebook) or you can select from an already create custom or lookalike audience.
7. Under the placements tab, you can either select automated placements or choose custom placements
8. Next you can choose the budget and set the schedule.
9. Click on Continue and then design your ad by setting the image, headline, text, description and call to action.
10. Click on next and here you will create the message someone will receive when they click on your ad.
11. Once you are ready with your ad, click on Send to Facebook on the top right corner
12. Log in to your Facebook ads manager and check that your campaign has been activated
When should you use click to messenger ads?
1. Launching an offer using webinars:
A webinar launch funnel is a great place to use a click to messenger ad. It helps you convert people into bot subscribers, and messenger bots help with increasing webinar attendance rates as well as follow-up conversions.
2. Running a challenge:
Messenger bots work great for challenges since you can send messages through the bot on each day of the challenge.
It is easier to convert an audience on Facebook since they don’t have to opt-in on a landing page by giving their email address.
They are directly taken to messenger where they just have to interact with the bot to become your bot subscribers.
3. Running a mini-course:
We know that 5-7 day email courses work great. But when trying to grow your audience, getting a completely cold audience to opt-in by giving their email address is a little difficult.
But it is way easier to get people to opt-in through click to messenger ads.
Once someone becomes your bot subscriber, you can ask them to give you their email address, which you can then import into your email autoresponder.
Running a mini-course through the bot also helps with keeping your audience on track by sending in reminders as well as asking them for their feedback.